eGift Card Frequently Asked Questions
Purchasing & Sending
1. Am I purchasing the eGift Card through The Home Depot?
When you purchase The Home Depot eGift Card, you will be directed to The Home Depot's partner site operated by CashStar. CashStar will take the order, process the payment and distribute the eGift Card to the recipient. The Home Depot eGift Card is just like the regular plastic The Home Depot Gift Cards and can be redeemed at The Home Depot stores or online at www.HomeDepot.com.
2. Are there any fees associated with the eGift Card?
No. You will only be charged the face value of the eGift Card, and we will not impose shipping or any other fees at any time.
3. Can I change the value of an eGift Card after I've paid for it?
Not at this time.
4. How do I cancel the purchase of an eGift Card?
If you chose a delivery date that is in the future, you can cancel your purchase by contacting CashStar Customer Support. If the delivery date is today or in the past, your purchase cannot be cancelled.
5. What payment methods do you accept?
VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, and PayPal. The Home Depot Consumer Credit Card or The Home Depot Commercial Revolving Charge Card cannot be accepted as payment for an eGift Card purchase because this site is operated by The Home Depot's third party partner, CashStar.
6. What is a credit card Security Code and why is it required?
In order to protect you from unauthorized transactions, we require your credit card's Security Code
- MasterCard, VISA, and Discover: The Security Code is the 3-digit number printed on the signature panel on the back of your card. It immediately follows the account number.
- American Express: The card Security Code (also referred to as the CID number) is printed above the imprinted card number on the front of the card (on either the left or right). **
** Please note, there are a small percentage of "plastic-less" card accounts for American Express - Corporate and Purchasing Card accounts. If you have one of these accounts with no AMEX card, please enter 5555 as your card security code.
7. When is my credit card charged for my purchase?
Your credit card is charged at the time of purchase. This purchase will appear on your credit/debit card statement as HOMEDEPOT CSTAR GFTCRD.
8. Can I buy an eGift Card for myself?
Yes. To do so, go to the "Email" tab underneath "How would you like to deliver your eGift Card?" On this tab, enter your own email address in the "To" and "Confirm Recipient" fields. You should also enter your own name as the "recipient name" in the eGift Card preview area at the top of the page. Complete the transaction normally. When you receive your eGift Card alert via email, follow the instructions in this message to retrieve and redeem your eGift Card.
9. I want a printed eGift Card to present to someone as a gift. How do I do this?
Simply personalize the eGift Card for your recipient, have it sent to yourself and then print it. To do this, go to the "Print" tab underneath "How would you like to deliver your eGift Card?". On this tab, enter your own email address in the "Your Email" and "Confirm Your Email" fields. Enter your recipient's name and your personal message on the eGift Card preview, and complete the transaction normally. You will receive an eGift Card alert via email. Follow the instructions in this message to retrieve your eGift Card and then choose "Click to print this page." The resulting printout may be presented as a gift to the recipient and may be redeemed at any Home Depot store in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico and online at Homedepot.com.
10. Can I send two (or more) eGift Cards to two (or more) different people who share an email address?
Yes. If you send separate gift cards to Aunt Mary and Uncle Jim at their shared email address, they will receive two messages with the subject "[Sender] sent you an eGift Card from The Home Depot" with your name in place of [Sender]. Within the text of the emails, each message will be addressed to the respective recipient, using the name you entered in the purchase process, for example: "Mary Smith, John Jones sent you a $XX eGift Card from The Home Depot."
11. Can I purchase an eGift Card with other The Home Depot merchandise in the same transaction?
No. The purchase of an eGift Card is operated by The Home Depot's third party partner, CashStar. To buy The Home Depot merchandise, you will need to go to www.HomeDepot.com and make the merchandise purchase in a separate transaction.
12. What are the terms and conditions related to the use of The Home Depot Gift Card?
eGift Cards have no fees and will never expire. Valid toward purchase of merchandise/services at any The Home Depot® store in the U.S., Canada and online at HomeDepot.com. eGift Card carries no implied warranties and is not a credit/debit card. Not redeemable for cash (unless required by law) and cannot be applied to any credit or loan balance, Tool Rental deposits, or for in-home/phone purchases. eGift Cards will not be cancelled and replaced without proof of purchase. Except as required by law, eGift Cards purchased with cash will not be replaced and any eGift Card may be deactivated or rejected in connection with fraudulent actions. Check your balance at any The Home Depot store or online. Reload card value at any The Home Depot store. © 2014. HOMER TLC, Inc. All rights reserved. Redeemable in local funds at Home Depot’s then applicable exchange rate.
Video eGift Card FAQs
1. How do I send a Video eGift Card?
You can either record a Video with your webcam or upload a pre-recorded Video. Once you have included the Video, then you can add a written personalized message and complete the purchasing process. Once your order has been processed, the recipient will receive an email which provides direction on retrieving the eGift Card. The Video will be imbedded in the eGift Card and the recipient can click the Play button.
2. How do I record a Video with my webcam:
- You will need a webcam.
- Click on the "Record Video" link from the banner or from the "Add Video or Photo" tab.
- Click "Allow" on the Flash permission screen. This will allow access to your computer's camera. If you click "Deny", you will not be able to record the video.
- The latest version of the Flash Player, free version available here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/. Still having trouble? Adobe provides additional help here: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help05.html
- For best results, make sure you have a well-lit room and no overpowering light sources (e.g., lamps or lighting directly to the left or right of your camera) or glare-producing elements.
- Click "Start Recording" when you are ready.
- You can record a video of up to 30 seconds in length. The timer will show you how much time you have left and it will stop the recording process after 30 seconds. You can click the "Stop Recording" button at any time during the 30 seconds.
- Once you have recorded the video, you can "Play Recording" to preview the video or re-record the video by clicking the "Start Recording" button. If you click the "Start Recording" button, you will lose the video that was just recorded.
- When you are satisfied with the recorded video, you will need to enter a "Video Title" and click "Save".
- This will take you back to the Purchase page where you can add a written personalized message, choose the delivery option and the date of delivery.
3. How do I upload a Video?
- Click on the "Upload Video" link from the banner or from the "Add Video or Photo" tab.
- Click "Browse" to find the video you want to upload.
- Make sure your video file is no longer than 3 minutes and no larger than 50 MB. If your video is larger than 50 MB, you can decrease the file size with this free application.
- You may upload .AVI, .MOV, .FLV or .WMV files only.
- Then enter a "Video Title" and click "Save".
- Wait for the video to successfully upload and then click "Continue".
- This will take you back to the Purchase page where you can add a written personalized message, choose the delivery option and the date of delivery.
4. Do I play a Video eGift Card that I received?
- Just click the "Play" button and the video will start playing.
- The video will be available for 60 days from the date of first viewing. The eGift Card will still be available after the 60 days, but the video will be replaced with another image.
- It is recommended that you save the eGift Card to your computer so you can keep a copy of the personalized video.
5. Objectionable Videos
- You may upload your own video for playback on an eGift Card.
- There is no additional charge to include your own video.
- We reserve the right to replace inappropriate, offensive, or otherwise objectionable videos.
- We reserve the right to replace videos that infringe upon trademark or copyright law.
- The following image will appear as a replacement image for any objectionable videos.
Receiving & Redeeming
1. What exactly does the recipient receive when I send an eGift Card?
On the delivery date you choose, a message is sent to the recipient informing them of your gift, with a link to retrieve it online. The link in the email goes to a page showing the eGift Card you created (the design you selected, with your recipient's name and your personalized message), its value and code number. This page also gives simple instructions for redeeming the eGift Card.
2. When is the eGift Card sent to the recipient?
The eGift Card alert message is sent to the recipient on the date you choose. The delivery date is pre-set to the current date, so if you do not select a different date, the alert message is sent on the same day as your purchase, within hours or sooner after your transaction is complete.
3. Where can I use my eGift Card?
You can use your eGift Card at any The Home Depot® store in the United States, its territories or possessions, and in Canada. You may also redeem your eGift Card online at www.HomeDepot.com
4. Can I let someone else use my eGift Card?
Yes. You do not have to provide any ID to use your eGift Card, so you can give it to a friend if you want to. Once any value of the eGift Card has been redeemed, it cannot be credited back, so be sure you really want to give your eGift Card away. There is no way to limit how much of the current value can be redeemed. If the eGift Card is worth $50, your friend can redeem it for up to $50. You may either forward the eGift Card alert message to your friend, or print the eGift Card and give it to him or her. Be aware that transferring eGift Cards in this way increases the risk of fraud, so it's best not to transfer beyond one person.
5. Do I need a special printer? Do I need to print color?
No and no. Most standard office and home printers are equipped to print eGift Cards and you do not need to print in color. Some printers produce great results, and older printers sometimes don't print certain images well, but the most important thing is that the code number below the eGift Card is clear. If it is not, you may need to install a new ink cartridge.
6. When does the eGift Card expire?
There is no expiration date on your eGift Card. We recommend that you redeem it soon after you receive it, so you don't forget.
7. Can I reload my eGift Card after I've spent the full value?
Not at this time.
8. How do I check my eGift Card balance?
To check your eGift Card balance, go to www.HomeDepot.com and click on the Gift Cards tab.
9. Can I return the eGift Card?
You may not return or cancel your The Home Depot eGift Card after it is received. Purchasers who wish to cancel an eGift Card purchase order prior to its delivery to a recipient should contact CashStar Customer Support prior to the delivery date selected during the purchase process. Merchandise Returns. If you return merchandise originally purchased with an eGift Card, any refund will be issued in the form of a store credit that may be used at any The Home Depot physical stores.
Security & Reliability
1. Is my order secure?
All personal and financial information is transmitted using the https protocol over a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), utilizing state of the art technology for consumer protection. Behind the scenes, your web browser is sending all personal and financial information over SSL. The eGift Card purchase process is fully PCI compliant. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact CashStar Customer Support.
2. How do you prevent the email from getting lost as spam?
We adhere to all industry best practices to ensure successful delivery of the eGift Card via email. Still, there is a chance that the email will be treated as spam or the recipient didn't notice it in their email inbox. You will receive an email message confirming delivery of the eGift Card alert email, and a message notifying you that the eGift Card has been viewed. If the eCard goes un-viewed for 15 days after delivery, you will receive a message with options for resolving the issue.
3. How do I know the recipient actually received the eGift Card I sent them?
You will receive an email message confirming delivery, and a message notifying you that the eGift Card has been viewed. If the eGift Card goes un-viewed for 15 days after delivery, you will receive a message with options for resolving the issue. You may also contact CashStar Customer Support with the order number from the email you received confirming your purchase, and we can tell you if the recipient has viewed their eGift Card.
4. What if I lose my eGift Card?
Your eGift Card has cash value and should be safeguarded as such. If you misplaced your eGift Card, you can reprint it if you bookmarked it in your browser or click on the link in the original email. If your eGift Card was lost or stolen, contact CashStar Customer Support immediately. If your eGift Card has not been redeemed or has some remaining value, we can cancel the original and reissue a new eGift Card to you for the remaining value.
5. What if someone makes a copy of my printed eGift Card?
Our state of the art technology inhibits fraud, but you must safeguard your eGift Card for your own protection. If someone makes a copy of your eGift Card and redeems it for the full amount, your copy will have no value. No matter how many copies are made, the value of the eGift Card is tied to the Gift Card number. When that number is used, the value of the purchase is deducted from the eGift Card. If you suspect that someone has copied or stolen your eGift Card, contact CashStar Customer Support immediately. Any value that has not been used can be re-issued to you in a new eGift Card.
6. Who is CashStar?
CashStar is a Maine-based company specializing in eGift Cards that allow consumers and businesses to securely send eGift Cards over the internet. Key personnel have played critical roles in technology and payments for such companies as American Express, Blackhawk Network, inComm, CoinStar, Wright Express, IBM, Hewlett-Packard, and L.L. Bean. CashStar is a sister company to Coupons, Inc., the successful online coupon technology and marketing company. CashStar's focus is on developing a secure payment technology platform and service dedicated to bridging the digital and physical divide. CashStar is fully PCI compliant.
Mobile Gift Card FAQs
1. How do I purchase an eGift Card through the Mobile Gift Card iPhone App?
Begin by tapping The Home Depot mobile application on your device. Once you are in the application, tap the Gift Card tab on the bottom tab bar to open the Gift Card stream. After purchasing your eGift Card, choose whether you want to send the eGift Card to yourself or to another recipient. You can choose from a variety of eGift Card designs, personalize the message to the recipient and even specify the delivery date.
2. How do I check my eGift Card balance on the Mobile Gift Card iPhone App?
You can check the balance on a plastic Gift Card or an eGift Card by entering the 23-digit Card number and the corresponding 4-digit PIN. These numbers can be found on the back of a plastic Gift Card and below the barcode on an eGift Card. You will then be prompted to enter an alphanumeric code for verification purposes. (If the characters are not legible, simply tap the “Can’t read image?” phrase and a new verification code will automatically be generated.) To view your Card balance, tap the “Check Balance” button and your available balance will appear on the screen.
3. How do I cancel the purchase of an eGift Card?
If you chose a delivery date that is in the future, you may cancel your purchase by contacting CashStar Customer Support at 888-679-8365. If the delivery date is today or in the past, your purchase cannot be canceled.
4. How can I redeem The Home Depot eGift Card that was purchased through a mobile device?
You can use/redeem your eGift Card at any The Home Depot store in the United States, its territories or possessions, and in Canada or Mexico. You may also redeem your eGift Card online at www.HomeDepot.com.
To redeem an eGift Card at a Home Depot store:
- If you are redeeming the eGift Card in the store, it is recommended that you print out the eGift Card beforehand.
- If you forget to print out the eGift Card prior to your shopping trip, you can present the eGift Card from your mobile phone to the Cashier.
- The barcode cannot be scanned from the phone.
- Do not hand the phone to the Cashier. Just show the eGift Card on the phone and the Cashier will key in the 23-digit eGift Card number into the register.
To redeem your eGift Card on www.HomeDepot.com:
Simply enter the 23-digit eGift Card number and the 4-digit PIN when you check out.
5. How do I know the recipient actually received the eGift Card I sent them?
You will receive an email message confirming delivery and a separate message notifying you when the eGift Card you sent has been viewed. If the eGift Card is not viewed within 15 days of the delivery date, you will receive a message with options for resolving the issue. You may also contact CashStar Customer Support at 888-679-8365. The CashStar Customer Service Representative will ask you to provide the order number located on your purchase confirmation email and inform you as to whether the eGift Card has been viewed.
The Home Depot eGift Card is powered by CashStar.